The first Sanskrit film ever made was Adi Shankaracharya in 1983 by G.V. Iyer. At the 31st National Film Awards, it won four awards, including Best Film, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography and Best Audiography.
The second film was Bhagavad Gita in 1992, again by G.V. Iyer. The film won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film at the 40th National awards for 1992. The next film made was in 2015, after a gap of 22 years.
From 2015 to 2017, 4 Sanskrit films were made in Kerala, India. Priyamanasam was the 3rd Sanskrit film and the first Sanskrit film from Kerala. The film won the award for 'Best Feature film in Sanskrit' at the 63rd National awards. The film was screened at the 46th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) in Goa in 2015. Ishti made in 2016 was the first Sanskrit film based on a social issue. The film was screened at the 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) in Goa in 2016, in the panorama section.
Suryakantha is the fifth Sanskrit film and the third one made in Kerala. It is the first Sanskrit film on contemporary life. The film won 'Special Jury award' in Kerala Film Critics Associations awards, 2017.
Anurakthi is the first Sanskrit 3D film with a song in the film picturised in 3D format. That also made Anurakthi the first Sanskrit film to have a song in it. The film was screened at the 48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) in Goa in 2017.
Madhurasmitham World's First children's Sanskrit film. Directed by sureshgayathri 2019.
List of Sanskrit films
|1983||Adi Shankaracharya||G.V. Iyer||First Sanskrit feature film.|
Won 4 national awards, including Best Feature film.
|1993||Bhagavad Gita||G.V. Iyer||Won national awards for Best Feature film.|
|2015||Priyamanasam||Vinod Mankara||Won national award for Best Feature film in Sanskrit.|
Screened at the 46th edition of International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
|2016||Ishti||G. Prabha||Opening film of the feature section of the Indian Panorama section at the 47th edition of IFFI.|
|2017||Suryakantha||M. Surendran||Won 'Special Jury award' at Kerala Film Critics Associations awards, 2017|
|2017||Anurakthi||P. K. Ashokan||First 3D Sanskrit film.|
First Sanskrit film with a song.
Screened at the 48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI)
|2019||Madhurasmitham||Sureshgayathri||World's First Children's Sanskrit Film|
|2020||Pratikritih||Dr.Nidheesh Gopi||First Commercial Sanskrit film.|
|2020||Punyakoti||Ravi Shankar V||First Sanskrit animation film.|
|2021||Namo||Vijeesh Mani||Screened at 51st International Film Festival of India Indian panorama section|
|2021||Samasyah||Shibu Kumaranallur||Environmental film, released on Neestream OTT. |
- "Adi Shankaracharya (1983)". IMDb. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "31st National Film Awards". India International Film Festival. Archived from the original on 12 November 2013.
- "31st National Film Awards (PDF)" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals.
- "Bhagvad Gita (film) G V Iyer". IMDb. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Sanskrit Cinema: A creative way to revive Sanskrit". www.newsgram.com. 7 July 2015.
- "Ishti is the first ever Sanskrit film based on a social issue". iffigoa.org. 23 November 2016.
- "First Sanskrit social movie flays Namboothiri practices". The Times of India.
- "A tale told in Sanskrit". The New India Express.
- "Thava Chinthasu | Anurakthi | Sanskrit Movie SONG | Asokan.P.K| Vani Vashishth | Vijith Nambiar |" – via www.youtube.com.
- "World's first 3D Sanskrit film screened at IFFI". DD News.
- "World's First 3D Sanskrit Film Anurakthi Screened at 2017 IFFI Goa". India.com. 25 November 2017.
- "The making of 'Punyakoti', India's first Sanskrit animation film". thenewsminute.com. 20 August 2018.
- "Children's film in Sanskrit -- a first; courtesy language buffs". OnManorama.
- "Jayaram looks impressive as Kuchelan in the first look poster of 'Namo'". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 April 2021.
- Madhurasmitham Film 2020 August 3 imdb retrieved https://m.imdb.com/title/tt14227856/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk
- "Pratikritih Official Trailer |Nipin Unni |Prasad Mallissery |Dr.Nidheesh Gopi |Devlag Productions" – via www.youtube.com.
- Kannan, Indira (19 April 2020). "How Punyakoti, Sanskrit's 1st animation film, got made". Rediff.com. Retrieved 8 May 2020.
- "'Namo shows how a ruler & a citizen should be': Vijeesh Mani".
- sreekumar, priya (27 September 2019). "Namo to speak Sanskrit soon". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Jayaram looks impressive as Kuchelan in the first look poster of 'Namo' - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Neestream releases its first Sanskrit film 'Samasyah'". OnManorama. Retrieved 19 August 2021.
- Correspondent, Our. "Sanskrit film Samasyah released on NeeStream". Cinestaan. Retrieved 19 August 2021.
- "പാരിസ്ഥിതിക അവബോധവുമായി സംസ്കൃത സിനിമ 'സമസ്യാഹ' ഒടിടി റിലീസ്". malayalam.samayam.com (in മലയാളം). Retrieved 19 August 2021.