Kamakhya Prasad Singh Deo
Brig. K P Singh Deo, AVSM
କାମାକ୍ଷା ପ୍ରସାଦ ସିଂହଦେଓ
|Member: Rajya Sabha and 4th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th & 13th Lok Sabha|
|Born||6 August 1941|
Calcutta, Bengal Presidency, British India (present-day Kolkata, India)
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
|Children||2 son and 3 daughters|
|Years of service||1971–1995|
|Battles/wars||Indo-Pakistani War of 1971|
|Awards||Ati Vishisht Seva Medal|
|As of 17 May, 2012|
Brigadier Kamakhya Prasad Singh Deo AVSM (born 6 August 1941), the scion of Dhenkanal is a former Member of Parliament and a retired Indian Territorial Army officer. He was a member of the 4th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th and 13th Lok Sabha. He was first elected to Lok Sabha in 1967 representing Swatantra Party.
In the 1967 Lok Sabha elections, he stood as a candidate for the Swatantra Party and was elected from the Dhenkanal constituency of Odisha. Aged 25, he was among the youngest MPs elected that year. From 1967 until 1970, he served as chief whip for the party in the Lok Sabha. By 1980, he had transferred his allegiance to the Indian National Congress. He was the president of the Orissa Pradesh Congress Committee.
Singh Dev was commissioned a Territorial Army second lieutenant in the Regiment of Artillery on 1 June 1971. He was awarded Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) in 1994. He was ADC to the President of India. Upon reaching retirement age, he was promoted colonel on 30 August 1995, and retired the following day. On 10 October 1997, he was granted the honorary rank of brigadier.
He contested in the General Election 2019 as an Indian National Congress candidate from Dhenkanal . Not only did he get defeated in that election, he also lost election deposit.
Dates of rank
|Insignia||Rank||Component||Date of rank|
|Second Lieutenant||Indian Army||1 June 1971|
|Lieutenant||Indian Army||1 June 1975|
|Captain||Indian Army||1 June 1979|
|Major||Indian Army||4 June 1986|
|Lieutenant-Colonel||Indian Army||4 March 1993 (seniority from 1 January 1993)|
|Colonel||Indian Army||30 August 1995|
|Brigadier||Indian Army||10 October 1997 (honorary)|
- "news.outlookindia.com". news.outlookindia.com. 2012. Archived from the original on 19 July 2012. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
Singh Deo had won the Dhenkanal seat on Swatantra party ticket first time in 1967
- "Members' Bioprofile - Brig (Retd.) Kamakhya Prasad Singh Deo AVSM". Parliament of India - Lok Sabha. Retrieved 27 November 2020.
- "K P Singh Deo is new Orissa Cong chief, Patnaik in CWC - Indian Express". indianexpress.com. 2012. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
Singh Deo replaced Jaydev Jena, who also resigned on January 24, as the Orissa Pradesh Congress Committee chief
- "The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Odisha | 'I don't question my commander'". telegraphindia.com. Calcutta, India. 16 April 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
Kamakhya Prasad Singh Deo is the president of the Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 12 February 1972. p. 235.
- ":: Welcome to Purple Beret". purpleberet.com. 2012. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
As a Lieutenant Colonel, he was awarded Ati Vishisht Seva Medal in 1994
- "Territorial Army to ease training to tempt specialists | StratPost". stratpost.com. 2012. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
Brigadier KP Singh Deo served in the TA and was also awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM).
- "On a Winning Spree". mod.nic.in. 2002. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
Brig KP Singh Deo and Brig PS Rathore have been ADCs to the President of India
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 13 September 1997. p. 1396.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 27 July 1996. p. 1084.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India - Extraordinary. 10 November 1998. p. 1.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 8 September 1979. p. 812.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 26 December 1987. p. 1765.