Director, Thermax ltd.,Padma Shri Awardee, MP- Rajya Sabha Member-National Advisory Council (GOI)
|MP of Rajya Sabha (Nominated)|
27 April 2012 – 26 April 2018
National Advisory Council
|Born||3 August 1942|
|Alma mater||St. Xavier's College, Mumbai|
Tata Institute of Social Sciences
|Occupation||Ex-Chairperson, Thermax Ltd., social worker|
Anu Aga (born 3 August 1942) is an Indian billionaire businesswoman and social worker who led Thermax, an energy and environment engineering business, as its chairperson from 1996 to 2004. She was among the eight richest Indian women, and in 2007 was part of 40 Richest Indians by net worth according to Forbes magazine. She was awarded with the Mumbai Women of the Decade Achievers Award by ALL Ladies League, the all ladies wing of ASSOCHAM.
After retiring from Thermax, she took to social work, and in 2010 she was awarded the Padma Shri for Social Work by the Government of India. She is currently Chairperson of Teach For India. She was nominated to Rajya Sabha, the Upper House of Indian Parliament on 26 April 2012, by President Pratibha Patil.
Early life and education
She graduated with a B.A. in Economics from St Xavier's College, Mumbai, and with a post graduation in medical and psychiatric social work from the prestigious Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai. She had also been a Fulbright Scholar and studied in the United States for four months.
Anu started her career in Thermax in 1985 and later headed its human resources division from 1991 to 1996. After the death of husband, Rohinton Aga, she took over as Chairperson of Thermax, retiring in 2004 and succeeded by her daughter and company vice-chairperson, Meher Pudumjee. Anu has since remained on company's board of directors, and involved with social work.
As a Member of Parliament in the Rajya Sabha she served on the following committees
- Member, Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice (May 2012 - May 2014) and (Sept. 2014 - Present)
- Member, Parliamentary Forum on Children (Aug. 2012 - May 2014)
- Member, Committee on Empowerment of Women (Sept. 2012 - Sept. 2013)
- Member, Committee on Commerce (Aug. - Dec. 2012)
Mumbai Women of the Decade Achievers Award Anu Aga
Anu was married to Rohinton Aga, a graduate from the Harvard Business School and gave birth to a daughter, Meher, and son, Kurush. Rohinton died in 1996 of a massive stroke, and a little over a year later, her son Kurush died at the age of 25 years. Today, Arnavaz 'Anu' Aga lives in Pune, Maharashtra.
Her daughter, Meher Pudumjee is the current Chairperson of Thermax, taking over from her mother in 2004. She is a post-graduate in chemical engineering from the Imperial College of Science and Technology, London and joined Thermax in September 1990, and is also a member of the Confederation of Indian Industry's (CII) Family Business Forum and the Young Indians (YI).
- "Anu Aga". Forbes. 6 March 2018. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- "Anu Aga passes Thermax baton to new chairperson". The Indian Express. 5 October 2004.
- "India's Richest". Forbes. 14 November 2007. p. 2.
- Vashisht, Pooja (9 February 2004). "Anu Aga and triumph of the spirit". The Times of India.
- "Women of the Decade". Archived from the original on 19 February 2014.
- "This Year's Padma Awards announced" (Press release). Ministry of Home Affairs. 25 January 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 11 March 2012. Retrieved 3 March 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Nominated (Rajya Sabha) - Statement as on 03/02/2014". Govt. of India. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "On Anu Aga's Birthday, a Message From Her Close Friend Rahul Bajaj". The Quint. 3 August 2017. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- "St Xavier's past, present, future..." The Times of India. 5 January 2010. Archived from the original on 11 August 2011.
- "Anu Aga: A House by the River". Forbes India. 21 July 2009. Archived from the original on 24 July 2009.
- "Fitness – executive style". Business Line. 26 October 2002. Archived from the original on 9 February 2009. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Silk & steel: Anu Aga Archived 16 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine Harmony India.
- Bhosale, Jayashree. "Meher Pudumjee is the new Chairperson for CII-Pune". The Economic Times.
- Anu Aga – Director, Profile Thermax India.