India–Solomon Islands relations refers to the international relations between India and the Solomon Islands. Neither country has a resident ambassador. The High Commission of India in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea is concurrently accredited to the Solomon Islands
Diplomatic relations between India and the Solomon Islands were established in May 1987. The Solomon Islands are a member of the Pacific Islands Forum, of which India is an official dialogue partner. Bilateral relations received a boost following the initiation of the Forum for India–Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC) by the Narendra Modi government in 2014. India announced that it would provide a grant-in-aid of US$100,000 annually to each of the 14 Pacific Island countries, including the Solomon Islands, at the Post Forum Dialogue partner meeting in 2006. The amount was increased to US$125,000 annually from 2009. At the first FIPIC Summit on 19 November 2014, Prime Minister Modi announced numerous steps that India would take to improve relations with Pacific Island countries, including the Marshall Islands, such as easing visa policies, increase in grant-in-aid to Pacific Island Countries to $200,000 each annually, and several measures to boost bilateral trade and aid in the development of the Pacific Island countries.
High level visits
Solomon Islander Foreign Minister Laurie H. Chan visited New Delhi on 17–20 January 2005 and held bilateral talks with the Foreign Minister, Human Resource Development Minister, the Minister of State for Information Technology, and the Minister of State for Commerce & Industry. Minister of Foreign Affairs and External Trade Peter Shanel Agovaka visited New Delhi in February 2011 to participate in the ministerial meeting on "Harnessing the Positive Contribution of South-South Cooperation for Development of Least Developed Countries (LDCs)". Deputy Prime Minister Douglas Este led a Solomon Islander delegation to attend the 2nd FIPIC Summit held in Jaipur on 21 August 2015. Solomon Islands Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare attended a function to mark India's Republic Day on 26 January 2017. In his address to the gathering, Sogavare praised the 30-year bilateral relationship between the two countries.
Bilateral trade between India and the Solomon Islands totaled US$7.36 million in 2013–14. India exported $2.06 million worth of goods to the Solomon Islands, and imported $5.30 million. At the 2nd FIPIC Summit, Prime Minister Modi announced that a FIPIC Trade Office would be opened at the FICCI premises in New Delhi. The trade office, named the FIPIC Business Accelerator, was officially opened on 7 September 2015. The Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) has also established a dedicated department at its headquarters in New Delhi focusing on boosting trade with Pacific Island Countries. Indian firm Asian Paints operates a manufacturing in the Solomon Islands through its subsidiary, Asian Paints (SI) Ltd.
In April 2007, India donated US$100,000 towards disaster relief and rehabilitation of tsunami victims in the Solomon Islands in April 2007. India also donated $50,000 towards disaster relief after floods in the Solomon Islands in March 2014. Citizens of the Soloman Islands are eligible for scholarships under the Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation Programme.
Indians in the Solomon Islands
As of July 2015, around 20 Indian citizens reside in the Solomon Islands. The community is engaged in the hospitality sector, missionary work, United Nations organizations and trade. The Association of Indian Origin People is an organization based in Honiara that represents Solomon Islanders of Indian descent.
- "India – Solomon Islands Relations" (PDF). Ministry of External Affairs (India). July 2015. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- Pratibha, Jyoti (17 November 2014). "Samoa PM Coming Here". Fiji Sun. Suva. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Second Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC) Summit held in Jaipur". Jagran Josh. 26 January 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Crocombe, R. G. (2007). Asia in the Pacific Islands: Replacing the West. The University of the South Pacific. p. 275. ISBN 9789820203884. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "India-Tuvalu Relations" (PDF). Ministry of External Affairs. 7 July 2015. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "India – Tonga Relations" (PDF). Ministry of External Affairs. January 2016. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "Annual Report 2015-16" (PDF). Ministry of External Affairs. New Delhi. 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- Star/Pasifik, Solomon (13 February 2017). "Solomon Islands lauds ties with India – Pasifik". Pasifik. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Page 1 of 3 INDIA – SAMOA BILATERAL RELATIONS" (PDF). Ministry of External Affairs. December 2016. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "Asian Paints consolidates investments in overseas units". The Hindu. Retrieved 21 April 2017.
- "Asian Paints consolidates investments in overseas units – The Economic Times". The Economic Times. Retrieved 21 April 2017.