Pran in February 2010
Pran Krishan Sikand
12 February 1920
|Died||12 July 2013 (aged 93)|
|Cause of death||Pneumonia|
|Alma mater||Raza High School|
|Spouse(s)||Shukla Sikand (1945–2013, his death)|
Pran Krishan Sikand (12 February 1920 – 12 July 2013), better known as Pran, was an Indian actor who was known for being a villain in many Bollywood movies. He was known for his roles in Madhumati, Johny Mera Naam, Zanjeer, and in Duniya. Pran was named "Villain of the Millennium" by Stardust Magazine in 2000.
Pran was married to Shukla Sikand from 1945 until his death in 2013. They had three children. During the production of Tere Mere Sapne, Pran's legs began to tremble. So to keep up with his role, most of his scenes involved him sitting down. Pran had a hard time reading in Hindi, so he would ask his scriptwriters to write all his scripts in Urdu. Pran's first time to be admitted to a hospital was in 1998 after he suffered a heart attack.
He was awarded as the 'Villain of the Millennium' by Stardust in 2000. The Government of India honoured him with the Padma Bhushan in 2001 and the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2013 In 2010, he was named on the list of CNN's Top 25 Asian actors of all time.
- Bollywood icon Pran dead at 93 at New York Daily News.com
- "Pran - The legend of Hindi cinema - About Pran". Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- 92 Facts You Didn't Know About Pran at Rediff.com
- 92 Facts You Didn't Know About Pran: Part 2
- "Legendary actor Pran dies at 93". NDTV. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Pran, Bollywood's black gold". NDTV. Archived from the original on 17 February 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Actor Pran to receive this year's Dadasaheb Phalke Award". Times of India. 12 April 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Big B in CNN's top 25 Asian actors list". Hindustan Times. New York. 5 March 2010. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Asia's Best Actors". The Indian Express. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- PRAN – The legend of Hindi Cinema – Official Website
- Pran on IMDb
- Interview with Pran Kishen Sikand at Rediff.com