|Leader of the House in Lok Sabha|
|Lok Sabhā Sadana ke Netā|
|Member of||Lok Sabha|
|Reports to||Parliament of India|
|First holder||Jawaharlal Nehru|
Leader of the House in Lok Sabha (IAST: Lok Sabhā Sadana ke Netā) is the Prime Minister by default if she/he is a member of the Lok Sabha. The Leader of the House serves as the parliamentary chairperson of the majority party in the house. If the Prime Minister is not a member of the Lower House of Parliament, she/he can nominate another minister as the Leader of the House.
|No.||Name||Portrait||Took office||Left office|
|1||Jawaharlal Nehru||13 May 1952||4 April 1957|
|5 April 1957||31 March 1962|
|2 April 1962||27 May 1964|
|2||Gulzarilal Nanda||27 May 1964||9 June 1964|
|3||Lal Bahadur Shastri||9 June 1964||11 January 1966|
|(2)||Gulzarilal Nanda||11 January 1966||24 January 1966|
|4||Satya Narayan Sinha ||14 February 1966||3 March 1967|
|5||Indira Gandhi||14 March 1967||27 December 1970|
|15 March 1971||18 January 1977|
|6||Morarji Desai||23 March 1977||28 July 1979|
|7||Charan Singh||28 July 1979||22 August 1979|
|(5)||Indira Gandhi||10 January 1980||31 October 1984|
|8||Rajiv Gandhi||31 October 1984||31 December 1984|
|31 December 1984||27 November 1989|
|9||Vishwanath Pratap Singh||2 December 1989||10 November 1990|
|10||Chandra Shekhar||10 November 1990||13 March 1991|
|11||Arjun Singh [Note 2]||10 July 1991||20 November 1991|
|12||P. V. Narasimha Rao||6 December 1991||10 May 1996|
|13||Atal Bihari Vajpayee||16 May 1996||01 June 1996|
|14||Ram Vilas Paswan [Note 3]||11 June 1996||4 December 1997|
|(13)||Atal Bihari Vajpayee||19 March 1998||26 April 1999|
|13 October 1999||6 February 2004|
|15||Pranab Mukherjee [Note 4]||25 May 2004||18 May 2009|
|03 June 2009||26 June 2012|
|16||Sushilkumar Shinde [Note 4] [Note 5]||3 August 2012||18 May 2014|
|17||Narendra Modi||26 May 2014||Incumbent|
- 1) ^ During this period, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was member of Rajya Sabha.
- 2) ^ During the time gap in between Chandra Shekhar's resignation and election of P. V. Narasimha Rao, the leader of the house was Arjun Singh.
- 3) ^ During this period, Prime Ministers H. D. Deve Gowda and Inder Kumar Gujral were members of Rajya Sabha.
- 4) ^ During this period, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was member of Rajya Sabha.
- 5) ^ After Pranab Mukherjee was elected as the President of India, Sushilkumar Shinde took over as the Leader of House.
- Speaker of the Lok Sabha
- Deputy Speaker of the Lok Sabha
- Leader of the House in Rajya Sabha
- Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha
- Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha
- Secretary General of the Lok Sabha
- "Lok Sabha". /legislativebodiesinindia.nic.in. Archived from the original on 21 May 2014. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Sushilkumar Shinde takes over as leader of the House in Lok Sabha". The Times of India. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2019.